Why is 10k Gold So Cheap?

Posted by Lana Gevorkian on

Why is 10k Gold So Cheap?

10k gold is a great choice if you’re looking for an aesthetically pleasing, yet durable piece of jewellery that can be worn on a daily basis and is not intended to become an heirloom. This especially applies to rings and bracelets, as they tend to withstand the most wear and tear. For example, if you wear a 14k ring everyday, it’s more likely to get scratched, scuffed and dented when compared to a 10 karat ring.

The purity of gold is measured in karatage. The higher the karat, the purer the gold. Therefore, it should come as no surprise that 10k gold is cheaper than 14K, 18K, 22K, and 24K gold. Keep on reading to understand exactly why 10k gold is cheaper than its higher karatage counterparts.

Why is 10k Gold So Cheap?

Constituents and Attributes

10 karat gold is an alloy of gold that contains at least 41.7% gold (10 out of 24 parts gold). The remaining 58.3% are made up of alloys such as silver, nickel or zinc. Although 10 karat gold is more susceptible to corrosion due to the higher percentage of alloyed metals, it is the most durable type of gold, as it doesn’t scratch or bend easily.

Comparatively Less Pure (but not the least)

Up until recently, 10 karat gold was the most impure type of gold that could still be legally classified and sold as “gold”. Since the FTC relaxed their standards, you’re legally allowed to sell something as gold as long as it contains at least 1 karat. However, 10 karat gold is probably the lowest karatage you would want to consider if quality and visual appeal are priorities.


The difference between 10k gold and 14k gold is virtually undetectable to the naked eye. This comparatively lighter color isn’t necessarily a disadvantage, as some prefer wearing jewellery with subtler hues of gold. This factor does reduce the market price of 10k gold, however. Seeing that 14k jewellery has a higher percentage of gold let is slightly less resistant to wear and tear when compared to 10 gold jewellery, 14K pieces are better for an investment heirloom or an engagement ring.

Alloyed Metal

Due to the higher percentage of alloyed metals in 10k gold, those with metal allergies are more likely to experience skin irritation while wearing 10k gold jewellery. Although rare, if you happen to be allergic to copper, iron, nickel or zinc, 10k may not be your best choice.

In Conclusion

10k gold jewellery is durable, yet pleasing to the eye. If you’re looking for affordable, low-maintenance jewellery that can be worn on a daily basis, 10 karat gold jewellery is certainly your best choice.

About Misc. Jewellery

Misc. Jewellery is made up of a strong network of Toronto-based jewellers and vendors. Timeless jewellery. Zero supply chain markup. We get it straight from the source. Shop classic Canadian fine jewellery here.

← Older Post Newer Post →


  • Thanks for sharing this information with us..

    Dishis Designer Jewellery on

Leave a comment